Although adult dogs may be able to tell which plants are toxic plants and poisonous herbs, it is also advisable to know firsthand what the poisonous plants for dogs are, especially if you’ve just adopted a puppy, who is very curious to explore the surrounding world and to put pretty much everything in his mouth!
Which Herbs and Plants are Poisonous to Dogs?
There are several types of herbs and toxic plants for dogs that can have serious repercussions on their health and in severe cases even lead to death. So let’s list the main poisonous plants for dogs and their effects:
- Aquilegia: causes convulsions, circulatory failure and gastrointestinal problems;
- Clematis: causes gastrointestinal irritation;
- Dieffenbachia: it causes strong irritation to the stomach, intestine, esophagus, respiratory difficulties and glutitis edema;
- Rate: leaves and seeds produce neurological problems, tremors in the dog, vomiting and diarrhea;
- Mistletoe: berries produce neurological problems, hypersalivation and vomiting;
- Garlic and wild garlic: as already mentioned in the list of banned foods for dogs , garlic can cause anemia, vomiting and diarrhea in the dog. Wild garlic or garlic is often mistaken with colchico, a poisonous plant not only for our dogs but also for humans;
- Alocasia: also known as ” elephant ears ” is a poisonous plant for the dog in all its parts, causes stomatitis and irritation dermatitis ;
- Lawn: both the plant and the berries cause vomiting, seizures, diarrhea and excessive salivation in the dog.
Poisonous Domestic plants and decorative plants for dogs
- Papyrus plant: it is not toxic but its leaves attract our friends with four legs (including cats) and cause vomiting;
- Holly: Its poisonous berries cause vomiting and diarrhea in the dog .
- Azaleaand Rhododendron: the dog is vomited and has nerve symptoms;
- Crocodile, hyacinth , iris , gladiolus , snowdrops and tulip bulbs hardly eat the dog, most likely to dissect them to play, in any case cause diarrhea;
- Ivy: both leaves and berries are toxic to dogs , they cause nervous depression, heart failure and gastrointestinal irritation;
- Filodendro: is one of the most toxic plants for dogs ; it causes damage to the kidneys, vomiting and diarrhea;
- Wisteria: fruits and seeds cause irritation to the bowel and stomach of the dog ;
- Lung: it causes heart depression and stomach irritation;
- Oleandro: Not only does it fall into the top list of dangerous plants for dogs but is poisonous to all pets . If ingested causes severe seizures in the dog, heart failure and gastrointestinal irritation;
- Horthexia: causes severe gastric pain, vomiting and diarrhea in the dog ;
- Christmas Star: Its leaves are poisonous for dogs.
Dog poisoned by poisonous plants what to do?
At the first suspect of poisoning in the dog do not waste time and run straight to the veterinarian. If you see your friend ingest one of these poisonous herbs or plants , take it out of their mouth immediately and rinse the oral cavity carefully.
Sometimes it may be useful to add carbon in a teaspoon with little water. This is an extremely useful antidote for most cases of poisoned or poisoned dogs alternatively you can also use hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting.